Friday, October 14, 2005

Only a Matter of Time

The wise saying that themes this blog may be 3000 years old but it offers to spare the attentive listener a world of grief. The Berlin Wall may have come down and the Great Wall of China may be no more than a historical artifact but the need for walls has only increased in the 21st century. We have gated communities, the Israeli "wall of separation", fire walls for our computers, and walls around most of our valuable and vulnerable assets. The "fact of the wall" in the physical world is a handy metaphor for the need for walls in the world of the human soul.

For the most part walls are a nuisance. Walls are expensive, cause separation, restrict access, spoil the view, and serve no useful purpose 99 per cent of the time. A strong case can be made for the abandonment and neglect of walls.

A city with no walls in ancient times was vulnerable to attack from any enemy on any side. Most of the time the city is safe without a wall, but it is only a matter of time...and then the abscence of a wall is a scenario for disaster. This is the metaphor that Solomon is calling up for us. Even though I may not have put any effort into my spiritual defenses my life can go along quite smoothly, day after day, week after week, but it is only a matter of time...

The spiritual wall is our cultivated relationship with God. This relationship provides protection all the way around the human spirit. Without this wall I am at risk. The fact that I may be doing well without walls is simply the way life works. It only takes one attack to destroy an undefended city. The things that mean the most to me can be lost in a moment because I never anticipated an enemy, never prepared for the surprise attack.

In this wise saying "self-control" is the wall that Solomon has in mind. Self-control is an aspect of our relationship with God, it is listed as a "Fruit of the Spirit" in the New Testament. This is a gift of the Spirit of God that comes from listening to God and being present with God. We are so used to saying "yes" to ourselves and to our desires, desires informed constantly through verbal and visual input that comes to us indiscriminately from ever possible direction. If I believe that freedom is saying "yes" to me without attention to God then my walls are already broken down and I am vulnerable.

The wall is not intended to be restrictive but to enable us to go on enjoying life indefinitely in the space we have chosen, with the people we love, and with peace of heart. Do I think I can say "yes" to any voice that suits my interests at the moment:

"I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpents cunning, your minds may somehow be lead astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ." (II Cor. 11:3) I've been deceived before - never forget that without the wall I will be deceived again.

No comments: