Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"Since they would not accept my advice..."

Continuing to read Proverbs 1:29-33
"Since they would not accept my advice..."

The "since" awaits a "then." God's advice is the only thing that can enable us to avoid the "since...then" process. It is the only thing that can prevent the inevitable flow of consequences that arise from our poorly informed choices.

It is a remarkable fact that God offers advice to anyone willing to listen. We have a multi-billion dollar self-help industry. Obviously there is a big market for advice. Yet God complains that his advice has not been accepted. Unless I view myself as a very rare exception I have to ask myself why I am so reluctant to accept God's advice about how to live in this world. There is something in me that is all too ready to reject God. Yes, in me. It would help to identify some of those things that make me so resistant to the advice of God through his word. A few things come to mind immeditately:

1. I want to be in control of my life.
2. I believe that I know myself and my circumstances better than God does.
3. I think that following God's advice will deprive me of all kinds of enjoyable experiences.
4. I think that God's ways are just too hard.

These reflect a set of myths that I live by:

1. I am in control of my life.
Result of living out this myth: My life is always out of control.

2. I know what is best for me.
Result of living out this myth: I keep making the same stupid mistakes.

3. Sin adds a little colour to my otherwise black and white life.
Result of living out this myth: I'm always asking, 'where is the abundant life Jesus promised?'

4. Doing what I want is the easiest path in life.
Result of living out this myth: I'm always walking a hard path.

I could go on and on.

The Christian life can be complicated or simple:

1. Complicated.
I analyze God's will with respect to every issue in my life and try to decide whether I can live with it or not, whether it will cost me or not, what other people will think of this, what I will lose and what I will gain, etc.

2. Simple.
I decide God's will is always the best thing for me. I take his advice.

No comments: