Monday, October 17, 2005

"Since...they did not choose to fear the Lord"

Continuing to read Proverbs 1:29-33
"Since...they did not choose to fear the Lord"

"Choose is a powerful word. It is a building block for the city wall of the believer. It speaks of freedom and purpose. It speaks of a life that is directed, that has clear boundaries and that has established a basis by which things can be accepted or rejected. In this case the choice "to fear the Lord" indicates that I have made a decision to play life by God's rules. Its not important that I have never made such a decision before. I can make it today. I can choose a new path. Its not important that I have made this decision many times before. I must make it afresh today. I must intend it today as straight-forwardly as if it was the first time I set myself in this direction.

As I begin this day and continue in it do I "choose to fear the Lord?" If I don't empower myself by making this choice I will be subject to the phenomena of random choices. These random choices will be based on negative events in my life, emotions, desires, unfulfilled needs, the influence and control of others, the negative pull of the sinful nature. I may be motivated by the best of intentions but the only way to avoid being subject to the risks of random choices is to choose God and his truth afresh each day.

"Since they did not choose..." points towards the consequences that are revealed later in the passage.

"Like a city whoose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control" (Prov. 25:28)

"But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)

2 comments:

TimPrice said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TimPrice said...

Kingfisher,
Great post today. I agree with you that if we do not consciously choose the fear of the Lord we will be reactionaries and respond to all sorts of stuff, not in the fear of the Lord.

Great post. I am reading The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard and he is talking on similar things. Wow, what a God thing, eh?