Thursday, November 03, 2005

"...always be zealous for the fear of the Lord."

Reading Proverbs 23:17
"Do not let your heart envy sinners but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord."

The human heart is alive with desire and longing. When the heart is sick its desires turn towards those things that will eventually destroy it. What is my heart's desire today? Do I have a longing, a zeal for God and His ways? This is unnatural to the flesh and seems odd. The flesh desires sinful ways: "the mind of the flesh is death" but "the mind of the Spirit brings life and peace." I need God to instruct my heart in what the proper objects of desire are. The compass is off and I don't even know it. "There is a way that seems right to a man but the end of it is death." I have to be told to set my desire towards God. I have to be told not to envy sinners. Until I learn that I cannot trust my own heart I will always be going astray. How many times has my own heart led me over the brink? Unaided by the Spirit the human heart will always go astray. This is a law of Spiritual entropy.

No comments: