Thursday, November 17, 2005

We interupt this program...

I'll take a break from Hebrews today to comment on a post by Sunshine over at A Dream of Being Orange. Sunshine is discussing the role that grace plays in destroying "the root of bitterness." At the end of her post she quotes this verse from II Samuel 14:14

"Like water spilled on the ground which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him."

We think we know God. We think we know how he will react to various scenarios in our lives. Just when I'm ready to pronounce on what God's actions will be in a certain situation he comes up with an "instead." When its time to call down fire from heaven, Jesus says... "instead...". When its time to destroy Nineveh, God says... "instead...". When it looks like a good day for a stoning, Jesus says... "instead...". When the prodigal son is prepared to live the rest of his life in shame, the Father says... "instead...". When I've stubbornly gone my own way, again, and expect I've tried His patience one too many times, God says... "instead...". When someone I love disappoints me and I decide to walk away or give them the silent treatment, I think I'll say... "instead...". Wouldn't that be just like God. "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God" (Eph. 5:1).

2 comments:

sunshine said...

Instead! Instead!!! What a GREAT WORD! I love this! This will be my word for the day...and tomorrow... and hopefully the day after that!

Samilya Muller said...

your comments was great could you read mine maybe you could help me. this world I don't like and I try to believe in Jesus and pray it is hard.