Saturday, November 12, 2005

"Land that produces thorns and thistles..."

Continuing to read Hebrews 6:7-12
"Land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be destroyed."

It is abundantly easy to grow thorns and thistles, even on land (perhaps particularly on land) that previously has been cultivated for better crops. The recipe for growing weeds is neglect and inattention. No watering, fertilizing, or pruning is required. The takeover of the weeds makes the field "worthless," which is in stark contrast to the cultivated field, which is "useful."

We are here talking about the spiritual field that is our life. A spiritual field like this is not in a neutral position. It is "in danger." It runs a risk "of being cursed." Even a very good field has some content of weeds but danger to the harvest increases as weeds are allowed to multiply out of control. It is up to me to take responsibility for the weed content of my field. I value my field and keep a close eye on the invasion of weeds in my thoughts, my private life, my choices, and my relationships. I know that a field that gets out of control will not go on that way forever, there is an endpoint to every abandoned field: "it will be destroyed."

God has made us all landowners. How is the harvest coming along?

No comments: